Tuesday, January 1, 2013

4 Things I Learned for Sure in 2012

I'm sure I learned other things in 2012, but here on January 1, 2013 this are the things that are on the forefront of my mind.

  1. I am loved ridiculously by my Creator.
    There is no other explanation for getting to do life with the people I do or having such grand adventures.
  2. Love is Love. 
    God is Love and it's big and huge and all-encompassing of the different types of love.  Count all of the love in your life - not just the love that comes from a spouse.  This had been resonating with me for a while, then was further confirmed by one of those amazing people I have the privilege of living alongside.  She said her love for her husband is no greater or grander than her love for her very best friends or her parents, it's just expressed differently and a day-to-day commitment and choice.  Don't discount any of the love in your life.
  3. Sometimes we need to know that we're not so different than everybody else.
    Always living your life set-apart and as the perfect Christian good girl because that's how you are culturally and socially defined by yourself and others can be downright exhausting and disingenuous.  It doesn't help others, it robs you of your own faith and traps you in shame.  Sometimes you need to know that you are no different from the rest of humanity to learn what you preach - especially grace, mercy, and redemption.  Don't demean the cross by not accepting these gifts for yourself.  (While not using it as an excuse to sin, of course).
  4. Stop hating the Proverbs 31 woman.
    I realize this sounds like I'm asking to be struck by lightning - but I've been bitter against the Proverbs 31 woman.  Not the actual scriptures themselves, but their use as the standard of Christian womanhood.  What if your biggest weakness in life is running a household and what if you're not married and not a mother?  How are you supposed to fit in this definition of the perfect Christian woman?  Does it mean that I'm second rate in the Body of Christ or somehow not fulfilling God's plan for me?  No. 
    It's what King Lemuel's mother taught him. It would be difficult to write about an excellent example of a woman in ancient Israel without her being a wife and mother that well ran her household.  I do think it is a great chapter and have embraced it now that I have released the bitterness ;).  There's a lot for us to learn there in how we live our lives, what we prioritize, and how we treat people in general.  And yes, I could use a lot more order in my household -  though my dog is pretty obedient so surely that counts for something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment