Thursday, June 7, 2012

Summer Book Club, Anyone?

There are two books that God has used in my life in an extra-profound way in the past year.  One, being A Thousand Gifts and the other being Grace for the Good Girl.

Emily Freeman, the author of Grace for the Good Girl, is leading a summer online discussion through the book.  She is posting every Thursday and also has a closed facebook group for women that want to go through it together.  Re-reading this book is giving me further revelation and this book is reading my bidness all over again. 

If you're interested in joining along, start here:  Grace for the Good Girl, chapters 1-3


Here's the paragraphs (particularly the 2nd)  that really hit me today:

"This week we read chapters 1 – 3 where we explored the definition of the good girl as well as two places where she often hides: behind her performance and her good reputation. That quote, the one about you having the authority to define me? It isn’t true. But I wrote it in present tense on purpose, because when I’m listening to that good girl in my head, that statement feels true.

This reputation thing? It is a hard road to learn to release your reputation into the hands of God. Good girls aren’t often confronted with that. We have great reputations, right?! But what about when someone thinks something about you that isn’t true? Or what if they misunderstand something you did or said? Your character may be in tact but your image isn’t. And that is a place where good girls start to lose their Ever. Lovin. Minds."

This is really a place where God has been doing some work with me.  I don't have to be right, I don't have to be properly understood, and sometimes I am going to do something someone doesn't find right or perfect and it may even hurt their feelings.  I might even be cranky and tell you about it.  Holy. Crap.  That's scary.  I'd rather do physics.  But, Jesus isn't about being safe and well-liked.  There's nothing about changing the world (or just living in it) that is easy-peasy with icing on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment