Monday, June 25, 2012

Every Girl's Favorite Color

I haven't blogged much lately.  There's been a bit going on.  Some might even call it "cray".  But, I'm actually sitting still and am sharing a little secret I've been keeping since February.  When I was in California, I did something I did not think possible (at least not reasonably possible, especially this year).  I bought something on Rodeo Drive.  Yes, yes I did.

And... Guess where?
It's my very first Tiffany Blue Box.  It's holding a little silver bow necklace, not unlike the very first piece of jewelry I ever chose from a jewelry store when I was 5 years old.  

Here's my proof of payment:

And the proof that it is really Tiffany's on Rodeo Drive:




I must say, all of the employees were super-duper nice!  In fact, all of the employees and security folks on Rodeo Drive were super nice.  I'm sure they're used to tourists and play along, but they seemed to go above and beyond for us.  I think our accents helped.  We even got an unsolicited Roll Tide from the Jimmy Choo employees!  

The security guard at the front of Tiffany's heard we were from Alabama and got kind of giddy and grabbed me to point out a necklace and say "Hey, look at this one!  It's $4.5 million dollars!!"  Then, when looking at the real gold and diamond version of my necklace, the employee pulled the tray out for us to try like we were really going to buy the several thousand dollar versions.  I politely thanked him then asked where they kept the silver.  And he was genuinely happy to tell me.

Our time in Beverly Hills secured a lesson I've learned and that the Rodeo Drive employees understand.  The persons that really have the money and the power don't have to tell you they have it because they already know.  They don't have to put-on a show.  I'm guessing some of the folks that have dropped major bank at Tiffany's have done so in jeans and a t-shirt and possibly without makeup, because they knew they belonged and the check would be good.

Soon after my purchase, my long-standing money-spending anxiety kicked in.  And I felt ridiculous and indulgent and shame tried to creep in.  I mean, how could I buy this??!! I was even too embarrassed to tell anybody about my special treasure because I thought they would yell, "But look at your mortgage and student loan debt and the hungry children in the world!!!"  Thankfully, when I got back home I took my dog to the vet and realized my necklace cost less than her 3 months of flea/tick/heartworm preventative and it helped me put some perspective on the overly-indulgent part.





3 comments:

  1. I love that you said cray cray; I'm pretty sure I cannot pull it off verbally but I do enjoy typing it (much like y'all) and giggling. I received my very first Tiffany necklace 2 years ago--when I wear it I walk a little bit taller b/c even if no one else knows what color box it was tucked inside, I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I love everything about this comment! The necklace does make me walk a bit taller!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete