I seem to have a bit of a problem with the social media. I'm using a blog post to admit it. What does that even mean?
I never seem to know quite where I stand with the facebook and the twitter. (I don't utilize LinkedIn and I have held off on joining any of the others, even Instagram.) I didn't think I cared for twitter, then finally signed up but didn't know what I wanted to do with it. Then I started tweeting like a mad woman.
Now, I don't know what to do with facebook and didn't post anything for a while. When I post on either site more than usual, I wake up in the middle of the night going "Oh my goodness, what did I write on there? I feel so exposed. I must run away and hide." Surely I'll annoy someone with one of these and someone will wonder why I think people care about what I wrote. Why add more noise to the universe? Yet, I just wrote two tweets and a new facebook status within a span of 5 minutes.
As it goes, I then realized that two of these posts could be taken insensitively based on how you read them, and what does that mean for the imaginary facebook/twitter persona of myself, which we all create and market for ourselves in our own little ways? Have I created an insensitive and self-centered character that spews out through my iphone? (over thinking a bit? maybe?) And if most of my twitter followers are younger folks from church, should I constantly tweet scriptures and life-path statements to them? Should I reserve one form of media for professional relationships and the other for fun?
Genuine good comes of these things sometimes. I appreciate keeping in touch with people and knowing what's going on in my friend's lives (and apparently the lives of famous strangers). It can be an excellent tool for encouraging others. I like to get my news this way and even check to see what encouraging quotes and scriptures have been posted in the morning that can be part of my quiet time. And there are that people say they're blessed by what I throw out there. However, sometimes my participation in it all makes me feel like I'm being "too much."
No comments:
Post a Comment