I previously mentioned the Grace for the Good Girl summer book club. Here is what Emily Freeman had to say today about saying you're sorry:
the chapter that isn’t in the book – hiding behind her apologies
One interaction I am not surprised to see
during our discussion so far is how many of us apologize for stuff –
from being too honest to not reading the chapters on time. It’s actually
kind of funny, if you think about it. Put a crowd of good girls in a
room (even a Facebook room) and we’re bound to start apologizing for
things we feel ashamed of.
In a way, obsessively apologizing is part of the hiding. We sorry our
way right out of our own personalities. We apologize for not being
fine. We apologize for needing help. We apologize for being emotional,
inarticulate, not having answers. Sometimes we even apologize for apologizing.When guests come over, have you ever heard yourself pointing out the mess to them and apologizing for all the imperfections even though you know that they probably don’t care and it doesn’t really matter?
When the dinner dishes still sit in the
sink from dinner two nights ago, do you hear yourself apologize to your
husband for it, almost like you want to point out the flaws first before
he gets a chance to do it even though he’s not that kind of guy?
I completely accept your flaws but I am strictly opposed to my own. What I’m really saying is, Attention everyone! I have a very important announcement to make – I am a human being and I am ever so sorry about that.But a true sorry is not about me. Saying sorry is a bad idea when it is used to cover up our beautiful, vulnerable, fragile humanity.
Save the apologies for real wounds, for
soul sorrow, for widow grief. Save the apologies for when you really
wreck things up and need to seek forgiveness. Save them for when we need
to hear it. Otherwise your apology is just an empty space filler,
something you are expected to say like, “I’m fine, how are you?”
No comments:
Post a Comment