Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Keep Running, Running

I don't know why Fergie's backlyric from a Black Eyed Peas song came to mind for this title, but it did.

I'm continuing to learn that love, joy and hope are God's gifts, but they're also a choice.  There will be days when we have to be intentional about this choice one hundred times over.  Oprah always has her "What I Know for Sure" moment in the back of her magazine, and what I know for sure is that replacing lies with God's promises works.  If I believe this and see this as truth in my life, then it is something I need to do everyday the same as brushing my teeth and going for walks.  It is good for me. 

So often I ask "God, how long will I need to keep doing this until I get your love to stick in my heart and bones?"  And then I feel so obsessed with my own pity party.  I also realize that I am not very proactive in this fight and that does not set me up for success (a great point made by Pastor Chris during his women's conference sermon on what to do at the end of your rope - fight early). 

When I was doing Weight Watchers a few years back, I realized that I had to be that intentional about my food choices for the rest of my life.  I had to realize that counting points or weighing options and setting myself up to avoid triggers was work, but it was work that was worth it.  I had to reconcile that doing this work was ultimately to my life-long benefit.

I realize the same is true with speaking God's promises over myself if I want victory over the nasties and stinking thinking.  I may have to make myself get out of bed and do it, but it's so worth it to keep me from that downward spiral that's no good for anybody.

This was all sinking in last night during small group.  In our study, Made to Crave, God gave me the scripture Ephesians 3:16-19 and I inserted my name into it when I read it to drive it home.  Turns out, He must be up to something because my friend Brooke just happened to blog on that scripture today.  She says it all in such a lovely way, so check that out here:  http://playing-grown-up.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-post.html

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Ephesians 3:16-19

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! God works in crazy ways that we both were thinking of that same scripture.

    Thanks for the shout out, my friend. Although I'm sure for every one time I've encouraged you, you have encouraged me ten times!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! He's pretty cool like that :). And if I have encouraged you at all then I am blessed!

    ReplyDelete