This past weekend was a great weekend o'friendship. My college roomate was in town, a dear friend from Colorado was in town, I got to hang out with my hometown friends, and our sermon was on covenant friendships.
(Side note - I should probably call her something other than "my college roomate" since we're at 15 years of sisterhood now).
Friendships are where I find myself most humbled by God's love, and where He most debunks the lies of abandonment and rejection in my life. I remember being the awkward nerd that didn't remotely fit in for so many years of junior high and high school. Now, I look at the people God has blessed me with and I'm just excited to know most of them, much less call them friend. And when I get invited to their baby showers or their weddings, most often I'm just excited that I get to be a part of something in their lives and get to bless them. (Maybe sometimes to the point of previously mentioned geek-dom). Then, when old friends from out of town visit and my new(er-ish) friends love them just as much as I do, I'm doubly excited! I really struck gold in the friend department.
I find a visit with an old friend is the very best thing at reminding me of who I am and what I was created for. They are a reflection of me at my best of times and worst of times and call me to keep going and aim higher. Old friends won't let you sit on your bum or your laurels.
John Maxwell delivered our sermon on Sunday, and he said "we attract what we are, not what we want." This is so true and perhaps the most humbling thing of all. I see it played out for the positive and the negative in people's lives quite often. If I'm remotely like the folks God has put in my life, then I must be making it alright. And knowing how amazing they are reminds me again that God chose me at the beginning of time and did not reject me. It reminds me that I may not have "romantic love" in my life right now, but I'm sure not short on love.
Roll Tide.
No comments:
Post a Comment