Thursday, October 13, 2011

Homecoming Queen

As I mentioned before, my college roomate came to visit last weekend and went to her very first Alabama home football game.  This game just happened to be Homecoming.  While we were sitting there in the upper-upper-deck, watching the Governor crown this year's queen, roomate turns to me and says "Remember when I was Homecoming Queen at Belmont?" 
Then, we busted out laughing.  She was the Homecoming Queen our Junior Year.  My housemate was the Homecoming Queen my Senior Year.  Had this been a campus with a secret society of power that made such decisions, one might think I was influential in that group.  But, this was Belmont.  A private Christian liberal-arts school without a football team.  To be our Homecoming Queen, you had to be nice and funny enough for someone to take notice and remember your name when they were asked to check a box on a ballot.  Turns out I was blessed to live with a lot of ladies that were both funny and nice and that's why my roomates became Homecoming Queen.
They were also the funniest folks in the Fall Follies (our own SNL with skits and bands), which is what Homecoming at Belmont was really all about anyway.
Whether she was crowned by the Governor in a stadium of 100,000 or by the school president on the soccer field with a few rows of bleachers, I am very honored to be pictured below with Belmont's 1998 Homecoming Queen.  A crown is a crown :).

No comments:

Post a Comment