Thursday, September 15, 2011

How He Loves

This song has been on constant play in my life lately.  I heard that the writer (John Mark McMillan) penned it following the death of a friend, after he pictured this friend in the throne room and realizing how everything eclipses in comparison to God's love and beauty.  It makes me think of a revelation I heard a year or so ago by the very wise Tricia Gunn.  She said that every stress, wound, stronghold is tiny when we place it beside God's monolith of love.  How true is that?  And what good use of the word 'monolith'?  :).  It gives me a mental image of a person the size of an ant standing beside the St. Louis Arch (don't ask me why because I don't know other than it's a monolithic in size thing that I have stood beside before).  It also makes me think of my junior year of college when a teacher made us sit and ponder the monolith in 2001, A Space Odyssey, but that's neither here nor there.

I love that the first line is "He is jealous for me".  Isn't that what Song of Solomon and being the Bride of Christ is all about?  Doesn't He makes some choices for us in His will because He is jealous for us and our attention and hearts?  Doesn't that dwarf some of our disappointments?

Here's the lyrics of the David Crowder Band version, and I highly recommend you go download.  If I had one of those music widget thingys I'd just tell ya to play it, but ya need to buy it anyway ;).




He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,

Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.

And oh, how He loves us so
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us so

He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves.


We are His portion and He is our prize
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes
If grace is an ocean, we're all sinking
So Heaven meets earth like an unforeseen kiss
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest
I don't have time to maintain these regrets
When I think about the way

And oh, how He loves us
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us so

Yeah, He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves.

2 comments:

  1. So good!

    All the songs that John Mark McMillan writes make me think, "Whoa, if only I could grasp God's love like that!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually didn't figure out who had written this until late last night - after I read your blog post and looked for that song on iTunes. I hated to post without songwriter credit - but I don't tend to plan out my blog posting :).

    ReplyDelete