Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Beautimousness

Hi friends!  I'm halfway through my staycation - which is starting to freak me out because (shockingly) I had unrealistic goals for what all I could accomplish this week and because I am seriously loving me some rest.  So, I'm at that place where I think my vacation is already over - but deep breath - it's not.  And with this unexpected fall weather, I've turned off the air and opened my french doors to further remind myself.

Now, to the real purpose of today's post :).  This has been stewing in me for over a week now and is sadly inspired by a recent Keeping Up With the Kardashians marathon.  I have to admit, I think Kim Kardashian is absolutely stunning.  Like, it's hard to not stare at the tv and hard to accept she's real.  Not in a weird way - just in that "appreciating that God made women to be beautiful and I find beauty in this" way.  In a recent episode (I really don't watch this show regularly, promise), her fiance (now husband) was playing around and washing her makeup off her face because they were at the beach and because he thought she was prettier without it.  Somehow, this made me think the following:

"Kim Kardashian isn't afraid to be beautiful.  She doesn't wake up in the morning and think What can I wear today that will be appropriate for the day's events but not make me too pretty or too noticeable? Then I thought, J Lo doesn't wake up and worry about being too pretty either.  In fact, these gorgeous women wake up and are intentionally beautiful every day."

I fully understand that these women are paid to be beautiful and employ other people based on the fact that they have to be beautiful and that is a whole other complicated issue.  But let's think about the fact that they are not afraid to go about their day being gorgeous.  I bring this up because I think that most of us women are.  We get up for work and think "How can I blend with the status quo today?  How can I not draw attention to myself today, or be just presentable enough to look nice without standing out?  Ooo, I really like this necklace and it makes me happy, but will too many people comment on the fact I'm wearing it?"  Basically,  "How can I live in my own skin and own creation?"

I'm also thinking a lot about relishing in our youth while we have it.  I'm not suggesting that we dress trashy, just that we go ahead and be peacocks with pretty feathers and delight in being women.  God made peacocks to be pretty and we don't judge them for it or shame their creation.  And, to me, being born female means you harbor beauty.  The end.

Some days I want to dress like a hippie or just wear sweatpants, but sometimes that's because I'm afraid to go all Mad Men clothes on the world - but how fun would it be to let that go?

It looks like beautiful clothes are in for the fall.  I'm seriously considering wearing these clothes and being a grown up - whether the other women at work wear them or not.  I probably won't have the chance when I'm 80, so why not play dress-up now?

I mean, seriously,

No comments:

Post a Comment