Thursday, September 29, 2011

Maintenance

Do y'all struggle with those regular maintenance activities?  I sure do.  I'm pretty decent about getting my oil changed, and I'm usually great about going to the dentist - but you can forget the regular mattress flipping and new pillow buying.  I feel like those things that we are supposed to do "every x months" should all be on one  list somewhere, and that we should be able to hire someone to keep track of when we last did said thing.  I'm pretty sure someone is employed by Martha Stewart purely to give her dogs a monthly heartworm treatment and change her air conditioning vents, then write it down on a calendar.

When life has added stress, we usually throw our personal maintenance out the window.  Now that some of the fog is lifting from my past year, I'm trying to check some of the forgotten tasks of my list.  Granted, this goal got a good kick in the butt when I was pulled over by a policeman on Sunday afternoon.  For having an expired tag.  That I had totally forgotten.  I remembered first when I was doing my taxes and realized I didn't have a receipt for my 2010 tag.  Then, I think I had a fleeting thought about it this summer and mentioned it to my mother.  When I was pulled over on Sunday on the way to seeing the Lion King in 3D (a total necessity), I sure wasn't thinking about an out-of-date tag, but I knew I wasn't speeding (since I had just pulled out from a stop light and wasn't going over 10mph) and I was pretty sure I hadn't robbed a convenience store.  The officer was so nice, and after seeing my lack of a record, he asked if I was even from Alabama and knew I was supposed to renew my tag.  I said "Yep, just had a crap year and forgot.  Thank you for pulling me over and doing your job."  When I went to renew my tag, the lady at the annex got a big kick out of it and told me to come back in 2 weeks for my 2012 sticker.  On the plus side, my forgetfulness and complete acknowledgement of it seemed to give 2 city employees a good laugh.

Since then, I've tried to close out a year old traffic accident and made appointments for the dentist and eye doctor.  I may even take my dog in to get her shots a couple of weeks early ;). 

What about you?  Are you taking care of yourself?  Do you need to stop today and do a little life maintenance?

No comments:

Post a Comment