**Warning - Stream of Consciousness follows**
I don't even know what I have to say here - but I feel like there is a blog post in here somewhere. But it may not be pretty or paint me in too flattering of a light.
I got asked to lunch this week. And that was a sincerely appreciated gesture. But it also sent me down an ugly spiral of depression, self-pity, and just a touch of self-loathing. (By the way - none of these things are from God). I know this person is not a match for me. However, I am so often told that I am still single because I am too picky (insert whole other rant and tangent here) that I felt like I needed to say yes to prove these people wrong. And to not be a jerk to a really sweet guy that had the guts to ask. And because I'm not being flooded with other date requests. And because I need to take more chances?
Then there is the previously mentioned downward spiral. Mostly because you're a jerk if you go and give him false hope and you're a jerk if you don't - so then I get mad that somebody else is making me a jerk by default. Date offers by people you're not interested in can also be a giant mirror in your face telling you that you're single and these appear to be your only options. (Gonna say this is a lie too).
After a week of feeling pretty yucky and being overwhelmed by my lack of time and absence of rest because I struggle with saying no, I had the bit of panic attack I needed to say no to this lunch. Granted, the fact that this person sent me 3 non-responded to emails in less than 24 hours really helped with my answer.
I would like to give a big thanks to the friends that emailed me reminders that being single does not mean you're desperate.
And to the folks that think I'm too picky, here is a list of men that have tried to talk to me in the past year or so :
One that led to me filing a police report.
One that I had to block on facebook for writing me messages all the time although he'd never really met me. None of which used complete sentences. And I found out he had an awful lot of challenges, including a recent drug problem.
One that said he liked me but didn't think I liked him back (because I didn't jump in his lap when I met him?).
Two married men.
Which one of these should I have chosen?
No comments:
Post a Comment