Wednesday, February 23, 2011

You Best Recognize!

While reading my church's One Year Bible devotional for the day, the following scripture made me take pause for the first time:

"Immediately he spoke to them and said, “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” 51 Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completely amazed, 52 for they had not understood about the loaves; their hearts were hardened. "  Mark 6:50-52

This took place right after the loaves and the fishes and the feeding of the 5,000 (plus the woman and children, of course).  We've all heard that story.  But this is the first time I've noticed just how human (and possibly even passive aggressive?) the disciples were in these stories.  They're kind of ticked that Jesus asks for their own food and then makes them carry around the miraculously multiplying food to all of the people.  Then, they go hang out on the boat while Jesus takes a well deserved siesta.  The disciples are caught in a storm when Jesus strolls out on the water to stretch his legs and climbs in the boat and everything calms down.  This is when they suddenly go "Oh, He's the Son of God!"  They don't get this while working as part of a miracle that is blessing the socks off thousands of people.  That's when they are hot and tired and ticked  and don't care that there's thousands of whiny people in need of food.  But let him save them from strong winds, when they are scared, and then they are amazed. 

I'm not trying to be all snarky or falsely humble, I was just surprised that the disciples were like "Whatevs, so the food multiplies, yada yada yada." I like to think we would all be like "Dude!! My basket is still full!"


How often are we a part of miracles that we don't recognize?  How often is it because we don't want to work or sacrifice to be a part of it?  And what does it take for Him to get our attention?  Our gratitude?  Particularly when our needs are met and we have food (hope, life, love, joy, etc.) to eat. 
 
We best get to recognizing our miracles.

2 comments:

  1. I hate to tell you this, darling girl, but you are beginning to sound like your mother.... ;)

    ReplyDelete