I just received the following email from a coworker:
"Do you have a tested, tried and true red velvet cake recipe?"
On the surface, this seems like a simple question. But to a woman that is really and truly from the Deep South, this is the Holy Grail of questions. I immediately envisioned a movie where a group of Southern women set out all Indiana Jones like on a search for the almost mythical perfect red velvet cake hidden in a cave under a farm house. Actually, I'm surprised this movie doesn't already exist. Truthfully, there are so many of us on a search for a red velvet that reminds us of our grandmother's. I'm all about it being trendy these days, but I'm also sad that the folks buying into the trend often unknowingly accept a counterfit. I mean, these people don't even know that a real red velvet cake includes toasted pecans IN the cream cheese icing.
Those of us that have tried to make our own are also aware that finding that perfect match of flavors is also a challenge. Some recipes work one time and not the next. Sometimes they're tangy and sometimes they're dull. Sometimes they are unbelievably moist and sometimes they're dry.
If you've found your recipe, then good for you! That is a merit badge to be proud of. If you are suddenly aware that you haven't had a real red velvet cake, then get help now.
No comments:
Post a Comment