Saturday, February 5, 2011

Desperately Seeking Dove

I'm at an age and stage where I really want to focus and streamline.  I'm tired of running after everything sparkly and I want to be good at what I do.

This is a broad statement that reveals itself in its own little ways, such as this week's purchase of good 'ole Dove soap bars.  They had been calling out to me for a while, and I desperately wanted plain, creamy soap.  Not a pomegranate and acai berry infused microexfoliating shower gel.  (But I admit to buying the pink Dove bars).

I've noticed the same is true with recipes.  I love (as in adore) recipes and cookbooks and cooking magazines, but I feel overwhelmed by the number of amazing recipes in the world.  I think I want to start actually trying a few, keeping a few, and stick with the thousands of recipes I already have.  Pick the ones I want to make more than once and be good at and create my own style of food.

I really am trying to say no in my work and social life as well.  I thought I had started to do that years ago, but I need constant refining in this area. 

I'm also acutely aware that I need to work on the meaningful relationships in life and take initiative, even when I don't feel like it and when it is foreign to my personality to pick up the phone or plan an outing.

Maybe I just want comfort.  Maybe I just need defined priorities.  But this is where I'm at right now.  Hopefully, I still have some adventure and a little flair in there too - but I'm craving the useful and worthwhile.   

No comments:

Post a Comment