Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!!


I love Valentine's Day!!  I always have, eventhough I've technically never had a "valentine".  I come from a family of gift-giving and loving folks that are always looking for a good reason to express some love on a holiday, so this day has always been a fairly big deal in my family.  I get kind of sad when the cynical folks go on about how this is the most made up and commercialized holiday ever.  I just think, "Who cares, it allows me to give cute & dorky stuff to people I love with complete abanadon!".

The red velvet heart cookie sandwiches above went to the hard-working staff at West Alabama AIDS Outreach.  Yes, it's another grainy i-phone picture, and the filling is not perfectly aligned with the hearts, but that's real life folks. 

My parents did not have the opportunity to go shopping for my sister and I this year, so they went the sentimental route instead.  My Mom's first wedding band (she has 3 bands but just 1 husband) went to my sister.  I got my Great Aunt Lizzie's engagement ring, which is a bloodstone instead of a diamond.  In case you have no clue what bloodstone is (like me until this weekend), it's a dark green stone with red/orange flecks.  Non-traditional perhaps, but she was engaged in 1918, so maybe it was normal then.

I'll leave today's post with a scripture that is permanently etched in my brain due to one of those church camp ditties:

"Beloved, let us love one another (echo - love one another).  For love is of God, and everyone that loveth is born of God and knoweth God.  He that loveth not (insert 3 hand claps here), knoweth not God, for God is love (echo - God is love).  Beloved (echo - Beloved), let us love one another.  1 John 4: 7 & 8 (insert double hand clap) 1 John 4: 7 & 8."

No comments:

Post a Comment