Being sick when you're a grown up is totally different than being sick when you're a kid. Especially when you're a single grown up with a real job.
I think about this a lot because I've always gotten sick a lot. It's annoying. And on days like today, the first day back to work after the holidays, I find it extra annoying because 1.) I was wanting to start the new year and new projects off right, and 2.) It makes me look like a big 'ol fake slacker. But if I was elated to wear mis-matched socks because they were the first two I saw on the laundry pile, then maybe I shouldn't be at work. And by mis-matched, I mean one fuzzy one with neon stripes and one gray athletic sock. Man, are they toasty.
When you were a kid and you were sick, it usually meant a lot of care and attention. You knew you couldn't get up and fix your drink to take your medicine or make your sandwich, but you knew somebody else would and it would all be ok. As an adult, it's all you. If I was married, maybe I could make my husband do it, but then he would have to endure the above mentioned socks and quite possibly me eating macaroni and cheese with my hands because I'm too tired to hold a fork, and there's no way that's attractive. If I had kids, I'm guessing it wouldn't matter that I was sick because I'd still have to be Mommy. Then I'd be like my coworkers that come to work sick so that they can be away from their kids and rest.
For now, I guess I'll keep working on teaching my dog how to open the refrigerator and balance a food and medicine tray on her head. She needs to earn her keep somehow.
Haha, teaching Matil how to be like Nana from Peter Pan? I love it!
ReplyDeleteI hope you're feeling better today!!
How cool would that be? Instead she just curls up beside me and uses me as a pillow - which isn't too bad I guess.
ReplyDelete