I haven't written anything in a while - which you might have noticed if you're out there. My church is in the process of a 21 day fast and one of the things I planned to give up was blogs. Not actually writing on my blog, but reading others. There are so many wonderful things out there to suck me in and I find so many blogs to be much more interesting than the work I should be doing. However, I didn't know what these 21 days had in store for me. Or what January had in store.
First, I was a pretty sick chica. Then, there was ice all over Alabama. Next, my Momma was being sick and stubborn. Next thing I knew, she was in the hospital. Then we nearly lost her and she was in the ICU for 10 days. She's still in the hospital, but with a much brighter story than 11 days ago.
Eleven days ago, I very quickly discovered that I still need my Momma and I wasn't ready to let her go.
She lost her own mother at age 14, and this week she told me that she still needs her own mother, so that never goes away.
My sister is a stepmother to seven children that observed the tenth year anniversary of their mother's death on Friday, and my sister had to be away from the hospital because they found they needed a mother.
When I first picked up my dog from my friend's house where she'd been staying, she was so excited and didn't want me out of her sight. After a couple more days of other people feeding her and letting her out, I took her with me to run an errand and she started shaking, petrified that I was going to drop her off somewhere and abandon her, because the vet says she thinks I'm really her mother.
Another friend with children my age is at another hospital right now, struggling with the very real possibility of saying goodbye to her own mom.
And still another friend is trying with all her might to forgive her mother to change the relationship time they have left.
So, I don't know what my grand point is, I'm just thinking an awful lot about mothers and what all the nature of that relationship means. We all need one, and we've all got one somewhere. This relationship defines our lives regardless of ourselves. I'm very glad mine is still here, even if she's dreaming to get out of the hospital so she can go around shooting coyotes from her golf cart. Maybe even because of it ;).
No comments:
Post a Comment