Thursday, April 1, 2010

My heart

I know this is Easter week and not Valentine's day, but today I have hearts on my mind.  Today has started as one of those days where I'm nervous and antsy and ill for no apparent reason.  We all have those every now and then.  I found God to be right on time when I turned my desk calendar and today's scripture was "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me."  (Psalm 51:10).  All I can say, is Amen to that!  My friend Andrea had already referenced that scripture in reference to herself a couple of days ago.  It's a very calming, centering prayer.

I've also been doing a lot of pondering on scriptures about life in our hearts - such as Proverbs 4:23:  "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."  How true is that?  When your heart is broken, it's very difficult to have life, much less give it to others.  It's like you're a broken vessel that has let all the water leak out.  Jesus also said that we would have streams of living water flowing through us.  Sometimes, when I'm exhausted and frustrated, I picture that fresh, living water flowing through my veins.  It's like giving a cool glass of water to all of me. 

Combined with the living water are the many references to the tree of life.  If you couldn't tell, I'm a big fan of imagery.  Lately, I've been picturing a clear stream in my heart that is lined by pink trees of life:  tulip trees, cherry trees, and pink dogwoods.  Yes, it's abundantly girly, but I figure that's ok :).  The pictures below are of the tulip tree in my parent's front yard on a beautiful day.

One more heart reference - the Women's Resource Center exhibit, "Healing the Wounded Heart" begins tonight at 5pm at the Kentuck Annex.  I hear there will be tons of hearts created by survivors of violence and their advocates.  You'll get the chance to make your own heart as well, if you'd like. 

Have a beautiful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment