Friday, June 28, 2013

Things I Learned in June

I'm linking up with Emily P. Freeman's invite to share the things you learned in June.  Turns out, I learned a lot.

1.)  My older colleagues have brave and fascinating stories about integrating The University of Alabama and the field of medicine.  1964 wasn't all that far away and sometimes we need to pause to realize we are surrounded by heroes.

2.) The saris Indian women wear to special events are embroidered with thread made of gold and must be sent back to India for trained persons to clean.  I learned by listening to a coworker's frustration after a kid she didn't even know spilled chocolate milk on her at a wedding.  Also, her favorite sari has gold thread polka dots but her mother doesn't approve.

3.)  Therapy dogs at the VA have their very own staff photo badges, as you can see in this picture:





4.) The new Revlon Lash Potion may be even better than Lancome's Doll Lashes.  And it's a whole lot cheaper.  Can I get an amen?

5.) Steroid shots have immediate effects - both good and bad.   Goodbye stuffiness hello overall fluffiness.

6.)  Katherine Webb is really stunning in person, even though I'm not sure whether or not I actually saw her.  I made eye contact with a tall, gorgeous woman in Ulta that seemed to be very self-consciously and nervously perusing the finer brands of makeup.  She looked an awful lot like her.  If it wasn't her, then this other girl really oughta be a model too.

7.) Shauna Niequest is one of my new favorites.  I'm currently reading Bread & Wine and I'm looking forward to reading her previous two books after that.  She is totally right - you can show up with bread, cheese, and fruit and make people happy.  
Bread and Wine: Finding Community and Life Around the Table  -     
        By: Shauna Niequist
    
 
(This picture refuses to center)

8.) God cares about my details, especially when these details are air conditioners in my car or in my house.





No comments:

Post a Comment