Saturday, June 15, 2013

A Few Things Saving My Skin - Part 2, Cleansers

I wrote the first part of this a week ago now and I can say my skin is still doing better than it has in ages, so something must still be working.  

Last time I talked about supplements and retinol.  This time I'm going to focus on cleansers.  I was going to cover acne treatments and the new products that have made the biggest difference in my skin - but turns out I write WAAYYY too much about stuff.  I'll take that to mean I really am supposed to be a professor.

It's important to note that different things work for different people and that there are different causes for acne.  I was reminded of that in a PopSugar video interview with Dr. Murad this week, so I felt like I should say that here :).

For all of the fancy cleansers in the product aisle and at the makeup counters, the ones dermatologists have recommended to me have been the most basic (and cheapest!), particularly Purpose and Cetaphil.  This is especially important if you are going to use harsh acne or anti-aging products.  I do still use an acne cleanser, but now limit that to the mornings.  You don't want to take your makeup off with a cleanser full of extra ingredients anyway - hello, burning eyes.   
imageimage   
I prefer the Purpose because I have oily skin and like the feel of a gel-based cleanser better than a cream.  Unless, we're talking the Lancome Creme Radiance cleanser which sometimes comes in Lancome free gifts.  This stuff is pretty amazing - it goes from cream to foam, takes off every lick of makeup, and really cleans without drying your skin out.
Actually purchasing it by itself will cost you $25, but every sample I've received has lasted ages, so the investment in a full bottle would probably be worth it in the long haul.  It also comes in a very nice mousse version, but it doesn't take makeup off nearly as well.Mousse Radiance
If you're looking for a fancy anti-acne cleanser, I have had the most success with the Peter Thomas Roth Beta Hydroxy Acid Cleanser.  The drawback is that it costs $35.  However, I can say that my skin started going down hill when I began looking for a cheaper alternative to this cleanser and it does come in a pretty big bottle.  If you want a fancy and all natural acne cleanser, I hear great things about the Boscia line, but have never tried it.
Beta Hydroxy Acid 2% Acne Wash
If you don't want to shell out the $$, Neutrogena is always there for you with 1,000 cleansers to choose from.  I'm currently using this one (redness soothing cream cleanser), which I picked up in the winter and seemed less harsh on my skin.  I would repurchase the gel version for summer unless I decide to try out the pink grapefruit or their new natural option.
Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Cream CleanserNeutrogena® Naturals Acne Cream Cleanser

I hope this is helpful for someone out there in internet land!

No comments:

Post a Comment