Monday, May 27, 2013

Hot Town, Summer in the City - Or, needing Car AC repair

There is almost nothing that can make me feel as vulnerable and alone in the world as the need for car repair.  First, the repair person has the power because they know more about your car than you do and they provide a service you need and cannot do yourself. 

Secondly, they almost always ask you to leave your care overnight then act surprised when that is inconvenient for you.  Without fail, there's a moment where they say "You mean you don't have anyone to pick you up?"   I feel like the house lights go down and there's a spotlight on me and I'm forced to say "No, I don't have anybody.  I'm alone in the world." There's no designated and obligated man, no magic carpet, no second vehicle - much less a batmobile that can drive itself to pick me up.  I realize this sounds overly dramatic, but it's one of the only times in life do you have to be at the mercy of a stranger and verbalize these things to them. 

Thirdly, car repair most often means I have to ask for help.  Yikes. 

To recap - it's a situation where I know the least, have to verbalize my level of alone-ness, and phone a friend.  Pretty much my nightmare.  This is why there's still a chance I will go to trade school and open my own repair shop one day.  If you hear of an all-female mechanic shop that also offers courtesy cars, it's me.  We won't dress like hooters girls but we will be bedazzled.

This time around, I gave myself a pre-service call pep talk.  Let's get real - if there's a 50% divorce rate in this country and if about 20% of adults never marry, then I can't be the only person that has this problem.  Not even spouses can pick each other up all the time.  I'm not the weirdo here.

I also strategized to start at Sears and  made a list of things to investigate at the mall.  For example, are Bobbie Brown cream blushes really as creamy as they say?  Here's a couple of hours to find out.  Surely market research has shown this is why Sears profits from their auto services, because you can wonder for hours and there's a food court so you won't starve.  You can even get a pedicure without leaving the building.  Let's be honest - being stranded at Sears is how I discovered my handy-dandy Kardashian Kollection blazers and my red shirt dress. Too bad Sears told me to move along to Firestone.  The only places in safe walking distance from Firestone is a bar and a wedding dress boutique, neither of which I recommend visiting after offering up your pride to Bob the swamped air-conditioning specialist.
 
On the bright side, my car gets me from one place to another just fine.  An AC need leaves you with the power to walk away and drive yourself elsewhere, even if it takes you an hour to cool down once you get there.

Car repair situations are also an opportunity to think of people willing to consider leaving their houses 30 minutes early for me.  This probably means 30 less minutes of sleep in the morning.  That is true love and I am blessed. So, maybe the point of the story is that I'm really not all alone in the world.

PS - Bob the swamped air-conditioning specialist called in sick to work today.  Not because it's actually a national holiday and why are any of us working, but because he dislocated his ankle.  Ouch.  Get better soon, Bob!  (or, whatever your actual name is because I just named you Bob).

No comments:

Post a Comment