Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Safe

Yesterday at 2:28pm central, I got one of those texts that you both love and hate to get.  The ones that start with "We're safe but...(insert bomb, plane, hurricane, tornado here)." 

Immediately I thought of 9-11 and that rapid hunt to check on friends.  Then, of course, I thought of the tornado and all of the experiences that entailed.  And then I thought of the days before I knew what receiving these messages felt like and how kids today will never know what the world is like without them.

I love that my friends live all over the world in wonderful places, but on days like yesterday I want to start a commune where they each get their own little house and I know where they are and I can do my best to protect them (totally practical, right?)

But seriously, how do the folks in Israel and the Middle East overcome the fear to love their house, much less gather?

No comments:

Post a Comment