My prayers have been with Pastor Rick Warren and his family following the loss of their son this past Saturday. I say that with utmost sincerity and respect, regardless of having never met them. The fact that I have never met them and have had such sympathy is part of the reason I think this unfortunate suicide is producing a pivotal moment in modern Christianity.
I learned about it on twitter, and was with friends who read it on their feed at the same time. We read the beautiful letter written by Pastor Rick that was tweeted out by another Christian social media culture leader and we paused and really felt for their loss. None of us know the Warrens, but they have become a name synonymous with making sense of our faith in this modern world. And none of us knew his son, but we were familiar with trying to make it through hard days and we had compassion and hoped others would too.
There I was, sitting outside on a blanket enjoying a beautiful day. But I immediately thought, didn't I relate to their son this morning? Hadn't I been thinking hours before about how hard the days can be and how it's hard to know their purpose sometimes? By God's grace, my day changed and there I was in gorgeous sunshine with people that really care about me. But, as Pastor Rick mentioned when writing about his son, haven't we all had those dark moments where we're not sure the light is coming? Didn't Jesus himself have a similar moment in the Garden?
I think this is a pivotal moment in modern Christianity because so many strangers immediately responded with sympathies and prayers on social media. Because this affected so many people in the twitterverse where we feel like we know the people we follow and see on television. And because the Christian leaders of our time took to their blogs to be real and write about not hating, judging, or shaming in the body of Christ but in lifting up because God is faithful. Because mental illness is really a disease but grace and mercy is just as real. Because we all desperately need living water. And after all of the devastation we're seeing these days, whose family has not been affected by depression in one way or another?
I think the church's collective response to this loss is important and an opportunity for true ministry. I think it has led to a "rubber meets the road" moment. I think pastors are going to hear honest tears from a lot of parents this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment