Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Spinach Squash Spaghetti Time

You know what?  I have started cooking again.  Like, actually preparing meals for me to sit and eat in my home.  Praise be to Jesus! (and thank you to emeals for a kick in the pants)  It's really blessing my soul (and my body and my pocket book).

I've found that I still can't conform myself to follow a recipe, and I'm sharing what I made up last night because it was yummy!
I started with an emeals recipe for Spinach Mushroom Spaghetti, but I find mushrooms to be gross and I had some yellow squash from my parent's garden so Spinach Squash Spaghetti it became!

I sliced and seasoned and sauteed 2 yellow squash in my usual way, but left the squash a little more firm than usual.  Then, I added 1/2 cup of almond milk (because that's what I had) and 3 oz of cream cheese to the squash.  The recipe calls for milk, but I found the cooked almond milk gave it a nutmeg alfredo sauce taste - but without adding the nutmeg.  I threw in a small dash of allspice to heighten this. 
The recipe also called for 6oz of cream cheese, but 3 was just perfect and meant fewer calories.

Next, I wilted the spinach in the pan.  I had never done this.  I had seen Giada do this on the tv, but I had not done it.  Let me tell ya, it was kind of fun. And super easy.  So don't go getting intimidated by "wilting spinach".  It looked a little something like this:


Concurrently, I cooked half a box of spaghetti and then stirred it up with my veggies to get a little something like this:



Finally, I topped it off with some shredded parmesean/romano and the salty cheese really stood out against the creamy sauce - and it was good.  I think a splash of lemon juice or zest would have made this dish perfect.

In total, this took about 15 minutes to make, it was really cheap, and it was really good. 
Perfect for summer.




No comments:

Post a Comment