Girls can be thoroughly ridiculous, and we're fully aware. Sometimes we can't seem to help it, the mix of insecurities and hormones just do us in. One of the oddest patterns of girl behavior I've observed is how we behave when we're intimidated by another woman because we think she's cool, and how this often delays fabulous friendships that could have been giving us joy much earlier than we let them. I have many examples, but I think the most appropriate would be me and my beautiful friend that is getting married today (We shall call her ABC).
I have known ABC for years - most likely since 2002 or so. She's a lovely, sweet, petite blond with a warm spirit that cares about making sure people are treated right and well. That combination not only brings all the boys to the yard, but it also can be pretty intimidating to other women. Especially since ABC is also really good at putting outfits together, and at the time I met her I was excited when I put jeans and t-shirts together successfully.
So, for a couple of years we went through that pattern where you really want to speak to someone, but have no clue what to say past "hi", and that is if you get the courage to say that. Sometimes we would speak and it would be great. Other days, we would see each other and not even acknowledge each other. I remember being so excited when I sustained a real conversation with her on one of our church young adult retreats, and someone took a picture, so it was documented!
Over time, she moved and I moved, but we both wound up back here. Then, we found ourselves on the same small beach trip together. And, as we know, friendships are never the same after a beach trip, and it's usually for the better. Turns out, ABC is a lot like me (except she's waaaay more organized). We are both actually pretty shy in our own quirky ways, and are more shy on some days than others. That's what was really going on for those years when we both wanted to be each other's friend but weren't sure how to make that happen.
This story really hit home with me last night at her wedding rehearsal dinner. I was so humbled at the opportunity to be a part of that family moment and to have the chance to honor and serve her. Her friendship has meant so much to me and she has been there for me in hugely important ways when she didn't even know it. I was so thankful that God allowed us the opportunity to get past whatever insecurities and quirks had kept us from being friends earlier.
It also made me wonder what other relationships I'm keeping from myself by being too intimidated to speak.
Congratulations ABC!!!
So funny! I'm reading your blog (at work) to catch up on your latest and run across this!! You know I feel the same way. Love you!!
ReplyDeleteHaha - Love you! And I'm glad you get this :).
ReplyDelete