My late twenties and early thirties have largely been about getting out of my comfort zone. I thought of this last night when I wore my sequined black dress to church Christmas party. I had bought the dress almost 3 years ago. It was on clearance or I never would have bought it. I needed it for an event and viewed it as more of a costume than an actual wardrobe item, and decided I was ok with spending $14 on it. It had to be a costume, because like I’d ever wear a black sequin dress? It just wasn’t me, and I’d be uncomfortable and pull on it all the time, and surely they didn’t make such things in my size, and people might look at me if I wore that, etc., etc., etc.
The next year, I got a little more adventurous and wore it a friend’s fancy dress birthday dinner. This year, I had forgotten about owning it until roaming town for wardrobe ideas for my various holiday festivities. I saw a similar dress in a boutique and thought “Oh how fabulous!” Then I realized that I basically already owned the dress. Then I realized that I wanted to wear it and I would be totally comfortable wearing it, and just how far I’ve come in 3 years.
So, I wore the dress to my church fancy dress Christmas party last night. And it was perfect for the event and I was comfortable and it shined in the light and I didn’t even care :-).
No comments:
Post a Comment