I had a definite “Oh my goodness, I’m becoming my mother” moment
recently in the parking lot of Hancock Fabrics.
It started because I was one of the only people that showed up for work
on a Friday after a holiday, and my brain kept seeking a diversion. I remembered that we could dress up for the
hero themed Vacation Bible School the next week and I went straight to figuring
out the best no-sew way to make a cape.
In the back of my head I just knew that everyone had talked
about dressing up and this was something I was supposed to do. Just to be safe, I texted the director who is
a totally sold-out- to-dress-up kind of gal, and then foraged on to the fabric
store regardless of her response. I
totally won the lottery because they were having a mega sale. It was my destiny.
When I got in the car with my haul the director texted back
that she wasn’t planning to dress up (though she might throw on a tutu) but she
thought a few other people were planning to wear capes.
There I sat in my car in the rain with my discounted gold
lame, 2 yards of red sequins, and way too many star appliques. I thought “How am I here again?! How am I the one with the over-the-top
costume?” Then I wondered whether I really heard the plans about dressing up or
if the miniature version of my mom in brain told me it was so.
I texted back that it wouldn’t be the first time for me to
be the only one in a costume, because let’s face it – that’s the story of my
life. That text was straight truth. The scenario usually went one of two ways:
1.) my mother gave no option but dressing up, or 2.)I desperately wanted to be
the fun and free person wearing the costume that was bold enough to show up
anywhere and own it (adolescence made this waaaay more difficult to follow
through with). So there I sat again as
an adult, afraid of being the one to really stand out but desperately wanting
to wear a sparkly red cape.
My mother is famous for boldly owning these kinds of moments
because she couldn’t care less what people think and she could sew like
nobody’s business. When I was a kid she
had that parental quality of being both wondrously enchanting and
embarrassing at the same time. That
touch of being a little to the right towards eccentric but not caring because
she was going to have fun. And it was
always fun. Only my fear of the teasing
from other kids made it less so, and thankfully that took a few years to kick
in.
Today, a distant cousin I’ve only met once in my life posted
some old pictures she found on facebook.
I’m in 3 of these pictures and I
am wearing a costume in each of them.
One is an old timey family photo where we are all in costume. Another was my 2nd grade spring
picture where they sent a letter home informing our parents these pictures would
be representative of Tennessee’s bicentennial celebration on Pioneer Day –
which translated to me being the only kid actually dressed like a pioneer for
her picture. But hey, do you have a
picture of yourself dressed like a Victorian librarian with a rocking chair
draped in the Tennessee state flag? Boo-yah!
I didn’t think so. Thanks mom!
The third picture most represents who I hope I really am. It’s a family picture in the front yard and I
am proudly wearing the neon orange overalls and giant straw hat from my 4th
grade tap routine. I am clearly enjoying said overalls and I even appear to be
wearing them by choice and I don’t care who knows it. I first learned how to jump and kick my heels
together for that dance routine.
Ironically, that move is what I used as my special teacher skill while
wearing my homemade Wonder Woman costume last week at Vacation Bible School.
I wish I could say I fully owned my sequined cape and gold
cuffs at VBS, but I was still scared of being the weird one. I got over myself enough to wear them for at
least the opening service each morning. I
did it for the little girls that need to see a grown up being silly and not
caring what people think and for the part of me that thought it was so much fun.
The payoff was enormous because for
three days I looked down to find a string of little ones standing quietly by my
side just to touch the sparkles.
I totally adored your red cape my sweet friend. I love the women wearing it more. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you :).
Delete