Sunday, May 29, 2011

Strawberries!

I made a recipe this weekend that I originally saw on Pioneer Woman.  It's originally from a blog called Snappy Gourmet and can be found here:
http://snappygourmet.com/2011/05/04/dark-chocolate-strawberry-shortcakes-with-amaretto-cream/

And it's supposed to look like this:

I tweaked the recipe a bit based on what I had (of course).  I made chocolate cake mix cookies using a box of devils food cake mix I had on hand instead of these dark chocolate shortcakes.  The cookies turn out looking pretty much exactly the same, although I'm sure this original recipe is divine.  For the cream, I added a 1/2 tsp of almond flavoring instead of the amaretto.  Also, I messed up my cream and it tasted good but had a poor texture.  Turns out, I missed the whole cup and a half of milk that was supposed to be in there.  Whoops.  Rest assured, these also work with plain 'ole Cool Whip.
This took very little effort and was seriously tasty and fun - so I recommend it for your summer cookouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment