I'm currently grading my student's papers, including 2 assignments purposed to help them find their own opinions on Medicaid and national healthcare systems. These students are very bright, but the majority of them are very "green" with limited exposure to anything foreign or different and being asked to form their own opinion on anything is brand new to them. Some are so angry and disconnected from the sheltered life they've led thus far that it scares me for them. Others are more balanced or admit that it's confusing.
Another student stated that America is "still a highly conservative Christian nation, see(ing) the value of earning one's keep" and that "those earning their keep should not be given a free ticket to the 'American Dream'". (This is a student that believes health care is a human right - just possibly not a right as an American).
The part of this comment that struck me the most is the stated relationship between Christianity and earning your keep. Thank God that this is not the actual teaching of the Gospel regarding salvation, because then I would be in trouble! Reading the student's answer made me overwhelmingly thankful for the free and unmerited gifts of grace and mercy that I receive from my Savior that allow me to get out of bed in the morning.
It also reminded me how few professing Christians have been taught or have grasped what Jesus actually says to us in the Word, and how often & easily that lack of knowledge is manipulated by politics.
I should note that the paragraph I just wrote is not my official stance on national healthcare or work or food, just a note of gratitude that a King bigger than our planet's governments has decided that I can't earn His love.
No comments:
Post a Comment