Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I'm a health educator that just can't help herself


This is a bit out of the norm for my blog, but I'm posting a recent newspaper article I wrote on H1N1 (before the vaccine shortage!). I love me some infectious disease prevention :). Hope you get something out of it! And, yes, they actually publish my rantings sometimes. Perhaps I should be more aware of that when I'm writing them...hmm...


Your Guide to Preventing the Flu (Otherwise known as “Wash Your Hands People!”)

In this modern day and age, we expect some fancy way to avoid big-bad viruses. And yet, the CDC recommends 2 basic actions for preventing the flu:
1.) Take time to get a flu vaccine.
2.) Take everyday preventive actions.
You might be thinking, “That’s what the government brochure says, but how does it play out in my everyday life?” Good question. I’ll take these on one at a time.

First of all, let’s discuss vaccines. There are two different types this year, one for the regular seasonal flu, and another for H1N1, or “swine flu.” Please do not be afraid of these. It is always your personal choice whether to take a vaccine, but these are safe and are the best way to protect yourself from the flu. People have had a lot of questions about the H1N1 vaccine. It has been prepared and tested the same as the yearly seasonal vaccine, but it is an extra dose because the epidemic spread too late for manufacturers to include protection in the usual vaccine. If H1N1 had spread earlier in 2009, it would have been part of the annual flu shot. H1N1 vaccines have been tested and are FDA approved. Flu vaccines are very important for people at risk of a serious flu case, like young children, pregnant women, people with chronic health conditions like asthma, diabetes or heart and lung disease and people 65 years and older. Children up to age 9 will need to get 2 doses of the H1N1 vaccine, about a month apart. Please ask your doctor about these vaccines. I have had both the seasonal flu shot and the H1N1 flu mist because I am a health care worker, which means I am more likely to be around people that have the flu. This was my first flu mist vaccine, which is only for people aged 2-49. I simply inhaled it up both nostrils. It did not hurt or smell. Later, I did notice some drainage down the back of my throat that tasted a little funny, but the taste was gone in 5 minutes. I had no other problems or side-effects.

It is worth it to take the time to get the shots or mist. It took me around one hour total time to get both vaccines on two separate days. In comparison, most people with H1N1 miss several days of work. It is worth your time!

Secondly, wash your hands with soap!! Hand-washing with soap is the single-best and cheapest way to prevent disease in the whole world. Do it! A recent study from the American Journal of Public Health found that only 32% of men and 64% of women washed their hands with soap after using the bathroom. Interestingly enough, women were more likely to wash their hands if there was a fact about hand washing posted in the bathroom. Facts had no effect on men, but they were more likely to wash their hands if there was a disgusting sign, saying something such as “Soap it off or eat it later.” (I wonder what would happen with a sign that said “Pretty women like men with washed hands.”) Relating hand washing to being a good person made both men and women more likely to wash their hands. We often judge people by whether or not they do the right thing when nobody is watching. Take this to heart with hand washing too.

If soap and water are not there, then an alcohol-based hand rub will do. Always cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue away, and wash your hands! (again with the gross factor). Cough into your elbow if you do not have a tissue handy. Touch your face as little as possible, because you most often give yourself a virus by putting your hand to your nose or mouth without realizing it.

Finally, if you are sick, stay home! Your coworkers and classmates really do not need your germs! They will be just fine without them and be glad you kept them to yourself. I promise.
In summary, the best defense against the flu in 2009 is good old common sense. And if you are not washing your hands, we know who you are, and we are grossed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment